The morning after my Dad passed away I felt so strange. I looked out at the golden September sky and somehow a deck of oracle cards had found their way into my hands. I shuffled the cards and through the tears I whispered the words ‘Please just let me know he’s somewhere and he’s OK!’. The card that came up straight away was Osiris – ‘Father, Brother, Husband, Son’ from the Ascended Masters deck by Doreen Virtue. One of the meanings is “a deceased male loved on is sending ‘I love you’s’ from Heaven” I couldn’t have asked for a better message at that moment in time.
Loss is a challenging time for anyone’s spiritual beliefs and although I always had faith that there was a greater force at work and trusted in a higher consciousness, what I didn’t realise was the journey of self-discovery I was about to embark on and the books I would discover to help my healing heart.
- Life After Life – Raymond A. Moody JR., M.D. Although my mum and dad had been divorced for some years I know that his passing was hard for my mum, she had been sending him a lot of distance healing while he’d been in hospital. Our conversations about spiritual topics are what kept me going and she introduced me to this amazing book. Somehow everything clicked into place and lifted my spirits (excuse the pun!) Raymond Moody coined the phrase ‘NDE’ or ‘Near Death Experience’ and in this book he presents a collection of experiences from many people who were willing to share them, which was pretty ground breaking in the 1970s.
- Proof of Heaven – Dr Eben Alexander An incredible book by a Neuroscience Surgeon who survives a life threatening illness and provides a breathtaking account of his own Near Death Experience that cannot possibly be explained by science.
- How to hear you angels – Doreen Virtue After a few days of my dad being on the ‘other side’ I was beginning to notice signs. I had songs in my head that I didn’t even know I knew and when I looked them up they were of such great significance and every now and again white feathers would appear. This book helped me to tune in and become sensitive to the signs from spirit and begin to sense angels.
- Adventures of the Soul – James Van Praagh I loved this book, James gives a personal account of losing a friend and many more stories of mediumship. He’s so down to earth and funny. If you have ever seen him in person he writes exactly how he speaks.
- The Secrets of Angel Healing – Sabi Hilmi This book found me! An almost magnetic force pulled me into a charity shop and my eyes went straight to it. This book is full of beautiful angel meditations and provides a lot of guidance on deepening our connection with angels.
All of these books have helped me in different ways, they have given me a lot to think about where I am heading next on my spiritual journey, and reassurance that the spirit world isn’t far away. I have found all of these authors truly inspirational and firmly believe that there is no such thing as death.
I miss my Dad very much in physical form but I know he’s still around as I can sense his love and even his silly sense of humour from time to time!
About the contributor: Layla Ness share messages of love, light and inspiration. She's a certified angel card reader, student of tarot, animal lover and collector of crystals. Find out more about Layla at her website.